May 14, 2008

Listen to your brain's jukebox

Usually when annoying songs insist on getting stuck in our heads it's because we've heard them recently. Maybe the song was just playing on the radio, in a TV commercial, in a department store. Fridge buzz in your ear, blech, whatever. But if you haven't heard a song recently, don't particularly care for it, have no good reason to justify it running through your head repeatedly, maybe it's in there for another reason. A subconscious thought crasher. An inner psychological/spiritual guide manifested in the form of a crappy pop tune. This has been my reality for the past few weeks. My archenemy in song, "Stop!" by more-enthused-than-you-can-possibly-fathom punk band Against Me!, has invaded my brain's song cycle repeatedly, randomly, prompted by seemingly nothing. My precious little neurons sing one particular passage to each other, over and over, loud: "Stop/ take some time to think/ figure out what's important to you/ you've got to make a serious decision" Could this song I despise be trying to tell me something? Against Me! "Stop!"

No comments: