February 22, 2008

Radiohead give the thumbs up to ousting hippies from Golden Gate Park

After years of electroshocktherapy, self-hypnosis experiments and strawberry ice cream cones, my mind still swirls in a bog of childhood trauma. Oh, the flashbacks of Mom and Dad taking 12-year-old me to a Grateful Dead concert in Golden Gate Park, visions of hippie ganjarasta men peddling hastily Saran-wrapped vegan sandwiches, bread dirty like their hippie faces; tripped-out "old lady"s shaking asses out of rhythm in hippie dances as light rock less talk hippie music wafts through the pot smoke and I see hippies everywhere and their tie-dye and their hair, oh their hair, and the bare feet indecent on the grass and the soiled towhead children and the smells ... please, no more smells. But here come Radiohead to kiss my scarred memory and make it all better. The S.F. Weekly reported that the Outside Lands Festival, rumored to be the first nonhippie concert to ever stage at Golden Gate Park, will happen August 22 through 24 with Radiohead headlining. So it's not a done deal just yet, though most signs point to a go. While initially deflated because of my selfish need to see Radiohead play the smallest venue possible, I'm pretty amped that they'll be surrounded by so much lovely foliage whilst serenading me with "Weird Fishes" and "Bodysnatchers." And anything's better than the Shoreline. The full lineup has yet to be announced, but count Planet of the Apes football halftime show superstar Tom Petty in, as well as Coachella cockblock Jack Johnson. Yes, Jack Johnson again. Does he have to stink up every summer festival lineup? I envision more electroshocktherapy in my future.

No comments: