January 26, 2009

Belated appreciation: Animal Collective

So now I'm all caught up in this whirlwind of Animal Collective, the indie band du jour who on Jan. 6 released Merriweather Post Pavilion, their ninth album. Ninth album, yeah. Where the hell have I been? I'm excited to stumble upon a band with such a prolific back catalog to explore. While I'm still absorbing and evaluating Merriweather, which is so far an elevating mix of experimental electronics that would appropriately designate band members Geologist, Avey Tare and Panda Bear as "weirdos," blended with pop harmonies that totally remind me of the Beach Boys, I'm positively, unequivocally stuck on "My Girls," the first single. It's straight up candy. Peep the video: Animal Collective will play the Fox Theater in Oakland on May 26 and the Henry Miller Library in Big Sur on May 27.

No comments: