June 15, 2009

Half full or half empty?
Outside Lands single-day lineups out

Wiggah please. All Points West gets My Bloody Valentine and Tool, and the left coast gets Jason Mraz and Tom Jones? All bitching aside, San Francisco's very own summer music festivus gigantus, the three-day Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival happening Aug. 28-30 in Golden Gate Park, has a pretty solid lineup if you take only Saturday and Sunday into consideration. Earlier today the promoters unveiled which bands play each day --so lemme break down how this will play out. Friday is all about Pearl Jam --expect the park to be teeming with tens of thousands of Pearl Jam fanboys who very well may amass the largest gathering of facial hair this side of the Mississippi. Oh yeah, and there's also bands that nobody cares about like Incubus, Thievery Corporation and Tom Jones. And don't forget the Silversun Pickups, a.k.a. this year's Jack Johnson a.k.a. the group that seems to ubiquitously stink up every festival lineup in the universe. I skipped 'em at Sasquatch and I'll skip 'em at Outside Lands, thank you. Let us appreciate, though, some of the amazing smaller bands like Autolux and the Dodos who truly add value to an otherwise stale lineup. And if I do go Friday, I'll have to give a shoutout to that band featuring that dude who used to sell me weed back in high school. Holla! Saturday kinda isn't fair to the other days because, starting at noon, there's a few more slots on the schedule for an expanded lineup. Dave Matthews Band, Black Eyed Peas and Jason Mraz headlining aside, I'll have me a helping of Mars Volta, Deerhunter, TV on the Radio, Os Mutantes, Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band, Bat For Lashes, Mastodon and Street Sweeper Social Club. This day will surely sell out of single-day tickets. Sunday is "the past meets the future" day where you've got the Beastie Boys, Ween, and Modest Mouse as headliners -- all a bit beyond their heydays, but still kicking, and definitely the best batch of headliners of the fest -- mixed in with fresher acts like M.I.A., The Dead Weather and Atmosphere. So will I attend, and if so which days? As it's looking now, I'm going to try to win tickets because I have a few months to get lucky. As the festival gets nearer, I may decide to buy a single-day ticket for Saturday, but only if I can get one for face value and without any goddamn "convenience" fees. My third and final option will be to sneak into the festival -- I've got my fence-climbing shoes ready. But I highly doubt I'll fork over the cash for a three-day pass -- unless a heap of Radiohead, a dose of Mogwai or a touch of Entrance Band are added into the mix.

No comments: