December 3, 2008

Rant: The Grammy's - beggers
can't be choosers; or can they?

So maybe I shouldn't bitch about the Grammy nominations announced today because a) my favorite band is up for five awards and b) I don't give a shit about a Grammy. But I have to admit my panties did bunch up when I saw that the Radiohead song chosen for nomination in the Best Rock Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocals category was "House of Cards." Amazing song, and In Rainbows is up for Album of the Year. But it also makes me wonder: Why "House of Cards" of all tracks when there's "All I Need," or even more worthy, "Reckoner." Don't tell me that this has something to do with the song's use in NBA playoffs promo ads earlier this year. Or maybe I just told you. Suspicious Grammy nomination No. 2: Would M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" be up for Record of the Year if it hadn't been played in those Pineapple Express trailers all summer? How much does a song have to be crammed into the public consciousness via commercials and other advertisements before it can be nominated for a Grammy? Call me a cynic, but it's hard to take awards shows like this seriously. I do, however, get a slight kick out of the fact that a Grammy is awarded for Best Album Notes. All right, album notes writers. And how about that mouthful of a category, Best Rock Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocals? I think I'll nominate that lengthy moniker for Best Worst Short Awards Category Name. Take that, Grammys.

No comments: