December 3, 2007

Mmmmm. Radiohead's In Rainbows bonus disc

Yesterday Waste e-mailed me stating that my Radiohead In Rainbows "discbox has been despatched (sic)," and that it would arrive anywhere between five and 15 days. Ooh, that's awhile. I couldn't wait so I sopped up the inevitable Internet leak of the bonus disc's eight songs. I found the tracks kindly at YouTube. Totally brief first impressions from a Radiohead fanatic: "MK1" picks up where "Videotape" leaves off. "Down is the New Up" had me dancing around my room right away - it's fantastic and haunting at the end. "Go Slowly" contains a slowed-down guitar riff from "There There." It's a grower. "MK2" transitions. "Last Flowers" has Thom Yorke vocals that shine as much as, if not more than "Faust ARP." "Up on the Ladder" is an angry medieval metronome song. "Bangers and Mash" lost the sped-up surf frenzy of last year's live version. This one will have to grow on me too. "4 Minute Warning" was my least favorite of last year's new live tracks but they reworked it, and this recording is so good that I think it will be regarded as one of Radiohead's best songs. "This is just a nightmare/Soon I'm going to wake up." Tropical comfort. Amazing! Hurry up, post office. It's genius. Get yours.

No comments: